When an employee makes a report of workplace discrimination or harassment, it is important for the employer to conduct a thorough investigation. However, with the delicate nature of Equal Employment Opportunity investigations, leadership or human resources may not have the breadth of experience or resources to exercise due diligence. That’s why many companies initiate the process of hiring a private investigator for an EEO investigation.
A private investigator can bring a number of skills and experience to a corporate EEO investigation. They can:
- Conduct interviews with witnesses. A private investigator is trained to conduct interviews in a way that gathers accurate and unbiased information. They can also interview witnesses who may be reluctant to speak to the company’s human resources department.
- Gather documentary evidence. A private investigator can review documents, such as emails, text messages, and social media posts, that may be relevant to the investigation. They can also obtain copies of documents that are not in the company’s possession, such as medical records or employment records from previous employers.
- Conduct surveillance. In some cases, a private investigator may need to conduct surveillance to gather information about the incident. This may involve following the alleged harasser or observing their behavior.
- Write a comprehensive report. At the end of the investigation, the private investigator will write a comprehensive report that summarizes the findings. This report will be used by the company to determine whether discrimination or harassment has occurred. Leadership will then plan a proper course of action.
The Benefits of Hiring a Private Investigator for an EEO Investigation
There are a number of benefits to hiring a private investigator to conduct an EEO investigation. These benefits include:
- Impartiality. A private investigator is not affiliated with the company, so they can provide an impartial and objective view of the situation. Their perspective will also come in handy should any litigation arrive as the result of the investigation.
- Experience. Private investigators have experience conducting investigations, so they know how to gather evidence and interview witnesses.
- Confidentiality. Private investigators are bound by confidentiality, so they can ensure that the investigation is conducted in a confidential manner.
If your company receives a report of workplace discrimination or harassment, it is important to conduct a thorough investigation. By hiring a private investigator, you can ensure that the investigation is conducted in a fair, impartial, and confidential manner.
Here are some additional tips:
- Get recommendations from other businesses. Ask other businesses in your industry if they have experience hiring a private investigator for an EEO investigation and if they were satisfied with the results.
- Interview several investigators. Interview several private investigators to get a feel for their experience and qualifications.
- Get everything in writing. Before hiring a private investigator, get everything in writing, including the scope of the investigation, the fees, and the confidentiality agreement.
By following these tips, you can ensure that you hire a qualified and experienced private investigator to conduct your EEO investigation. If you need require assistance in an EEO investigation, please contact Lauth Investigations International today for a free quote on how we can bring you the best in verified intelligence. We are staffed by former military and law enforcement personnel and carry a glowing A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.